“I would rather roll up my sleeves and tackle matters people think are impossible than take on cases I could do with my eyes closed.”
Los Angeles family law attorney, Lisa Helfend Meyer is recognized as a strong litigator and trial attorney who achieves favorable outcomes for her clients in high stakes divorce and custody disputes. Lisa has successfully tried complex family law matters in multiple states.
Lisa’s abilities in the court room support her clients’ emergence as stronger and confident individuals who are preparing for the next chapter of their lives. Lisa is a certified Family Law Specialist in Los Angeles, an elite designation conferred by the State Bar of California. Lisa has built a reputation for taking on the toughest cases — matters other attorneys reject — and prevailing in high-asset and high-conflict family law matters. Lisa is a founder and the senior partner of Meyer, Olson, Lowy & Meyers, LLP.
Lisa represents both men and women, as well as their spouses in high-stake divorce, custody and paternity cases, who work in many industries including entertainment, finance, professional sports, professionals such as lawyers, doctors and accountants, and technology. These include complex financial marital dissolutions, relocation and high-conflict child custody litigation, grey divorce and sophisticated prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Sensitive to her many prominent clients’ concerns for confidentiality, Lisa works discreetly to achieve favorable outcomes and promote her clients’ rights. Her more than 40 years of practice include family law cases within California, across the United States and international jurisdictions.
Known for her exceptional trial and courtroom skills and impassioned advocacy, Lisa gained national prominence during her successful representation of a mother for whom she secured visitation when the mother became comatose while giving birth to triplets. Lisa’s experience raising a daughter with special needs has made her a champion of special needs children and adults. Lisa founded the female-owned family law firm in Los Angeles; Meyer, Olson, Lowy & Meyers in 2000 to bring a strong female presence to family law. She has led its growth into one of the country’s most respected family law firms and “a force to be reckoned with” according to Best Lawyers.
Lisa earned her J.D. from Loyola Law School and began her legal career focused on domestic-violence cases, including intra-partner domestic violence. Her many philanthropic interests center around cancer research through Tower Cancer, special needs communities, including such organizations as Glennwood Housing Foundation, female mentoring through Motivating Our Students Through Experience (MOSTe), Levitt & Quinn, and the Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law. Lisa has been recognized by Super Lawyers for the past 19 years and has been consistently named among its list of “Top 50: 2023 Women Southern California Super Lawyers.”
Q&A with Los Angeles Family Law Attorney Lisa Helfend Meyer
Lisa Helfend Meyer
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1982
- University of California, Los Angeles
- B.A. - 1979
Professional Associations &
- Beverly Hills Bar Association- Member
- Century City Bar Association - Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- State Bar Association of California - member
- Family Law
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Family Lawyers: 2024
- Finalist: Entrepreneur and Founder category at the 2023 Inspirational Women Forum & Leadership Awards by L.A. Times B2B Publishing
- Top 100 Women Lawyers in California
- Top Family Lawyers" by the Daily Journal: 2023
- Best Lawyers in America®, Best Lawyers: 10 years
- Top 50: Women Southern California Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2012, 2014 - 2023
- Women of Influence: Attorneys by the Los Angeles Business Journal: 2017, 2023
- American Jurisprudence Award in Contracts
- Super Lawyers: 20 years
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Specialist, Family Law, The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization